November 26, 2008

Oh the adventures of travel.

Our first episode was in Mobile, Alabama, a bathroom break at the friendly corner Wal-Mart. This stop was fraught with danger, with people quite set on flattening us with shopping baskets, and security guards yelling at us from inside their security truck with the windows rolled up, and people trying to smash their vehicles right into us. I think my quest for a driver's license would've been easier had I just tried it in Alabama.

A safe arrival at my grandparents house in Pensacola, Florida, thank goodness. After a stop at Johnson Beach this morning we ate lunch at a local seafood joint. You really have to take five cousins under the age of 6 out to lunch before you can totally grasp this experience. Then: we observe the Floridians at nearby tables.

One lady in her early fifties is applying lip liner using the reflection of her cell phone. Her husband is simultaneously examining himself in the mirror of his wife's compact. "Honey - have I always had this crease at the end of my nose!!??!"

Not far away sat these two men. One spent the ENTIRE time on his cell phone while his friend sat there quite bored. If I had been the one driving and he had been the one talking, he might have ended up being the one walking I don't know why it bothered me so much. Maybe I just needed another unintelligent person to divert my attention. My own decision to indulge in the all-u-can-eat popcorn shrimp cost my poochy gut dearly. Oh stupidity.

I loved our time at the beach, though. The sky was absolutely breathtaking - you should see pictures.

No comments: